As we studied the Bakers of Virginia, we discovered a very close relationship to the Bakers of Saint Marys City in Maryland. It was the men of Northampton and the upper James River who helped Claiborne settled Kent Island beginning about 1628.
Governor William Stone, who was governor during the turbulent times between Marylandís Catholics and Virginiaís Puritans, spent two decades on the Eastern Shore at the exact plantation where the first John Baker had been declared a headright by Captain William Eppes in 1626, and very near the company land where Baker spent the years 1623 to 1626.† Stone was the first non-Catholic governor, an attempt by Marylandís proprietor to demonstrate religious toleration.
Then on June 28, 1652, William Claiborne and Richard Bennett, with credentials from parliament in England, gave William Stone a letter indicating that he was to step down as Governor and they were to bring both Maryland and Virginia into Cromwell's Puritan regime. It was the same William Claiborne that the men had helped establish Kent Island, and Bennett was one of the organizers of the Puritan plantation in Virginia.† Bennett was a partner with Thomas Eyre, husband of Susanna Baker. In 1655, Stone and a company of men were trapped in the Severn River by the Puritan forces and most were killed. Only a few escaped the massacre that day and mentioned by name were William Stone, Colonel John Price, Captain Gerrad, Captain Lewis, Captain Kendall, Captain Guither, and Major (Job) Chandler.
Stoneís reign was very turbulent, and his power basically ended with the Battle of Severn. Three days after the battle, ten men were put on the scaffold, and four were hanged before cooler heads prevailed. Stone went into battle with somewhere between 130 and 200 men, and many or all were killed or captured but ten. (The information about this episode was intentionally concealed so as not to draw Cromwellís wrath.) Those not killed had their assets taken, but history is quiet about who they were. The four hanged were William Eltonhead and a German with him, Mr. Leggatt, and William Lewis. Stone was spared while waiting on the scaffold, but went into retirement shortly after. A six-year period of persecution against the Catholics and Church of England Protestants followed.†
Our first John Baker was stationed with Eppes on the Eastern Shore but resettled early in the 1630s on the upper James River at what we know as City Point, Turkey Island, and Shirley Hundred where he was apparently a tobacco inspector at the end of his life.††
1. William Smith sat on the council and his widow married Daniel Jennifer, and we ponder if this was the son of William Smith of Old Plantation Creek, neighbor of Governor William Stone when he was living there.†
2. Daniel Jennifer, who sat on the council and was Stoneís attorney,† sold his tavern in Saint Marys, as well as some properties, to John Baker, and then settled in Gargatha, Virginia where the grandson of the first John Baker resettled.† At Gargatha, Daniel Jennifer purchased a piece of property called BAKERS FARM.† Was the tavern and Bakerís Farm a swap of property?
3. Robert Ridgeley died as one of the wealthiest men in Maryland and the wife of sheriff John Baker of St. Marys City executed his will.
4. Daniel Jennifer also administered the 1673 will of Devoreau Brown whose widow married Colonel John Custis of Arlington House on Old Plantation Creek, the site where the first John Baker worked for the Virginia Company.† The widow Brown / Custis then remarried Colonel Edward Hill of Shirley who purchased the exact land of John Baker of Shirley whose grandson would pay a kingís ransom of 20,000 pounds to buy adjoining land on Old Plantation Creek in 1694. Jennifer fought under Colonel Southy Littleton with the Eastern Shore soldiers to gain back Jamestown for Governor William Berkeley.† Governor Berkeley retired to Arlington House on Old Plantation Creek and here is where the officers gathered for their offensive.† Daniel Jennifer and Isaac Foxcroft were two who distinguished themselves.
5. John Baker, son of Hugh Baker of Old Plantation Creek, and grandson of the first John Baker who died at Shirley Hundred, resettled in Gargatha.† After his father, Hugh Baker, died in 1664, his mother remarried Jacob Bishop and they resettled in Gargatha.††
6. Across the bay at Saint Marys City, another Hugh Baker also died that same year, and his widow, Elizabeth, remarried a Robert Davis, and they also resettled in Gargatha.
7. Captain Daniel Lewellin, who worked the tobacco ports of Maryland and Virginia, married the daughter of the first John Baker, and claimed multiple headrights for an Edward Baker who apparently worked as a mariner with Lewellin. In 1633, Daniel Lewellin and George Baker were headrights of Henry Perry near Shirley Hundred on the James River.† Perryís wife was the widow of Richard Pace and mother of the wife of Richard Baker of Bakerís Plantation next to Merchants Hope across the river from Shirley Hundred. Henry Perry was called a kinsman in the will of Francis Potts, brother of Governor John Potts of Virginia, and second husband of Susanna Baker Eyre.
8. Daniel Lewellin purchased the John Baker land at Shirley Hundred on the James River and would sell this land to Captain Edward Hill who was the 1646 chief executive of Maryland with the provision that Hill† ďkeepe the housing free for the entertainment of one Mr. Thomas Noathway for and during the term and time of seven years.Ē† It was Edward Hill who married the widow Brown Custis of Old Plantation Creek.
9. Lewellinís son-in-law claimed headrights for William Mumms who had been stationed with John Baker under the command of William Eppes. Bakerís son, Hugh Baker, married the daughter of William Mumms.
Letís move forward for a moment to the best-recorded Baker in Maryland at that time, Sheriff John Baker of St. Marys was the Innkeeper of St. Marys City before 1673, probably following Daniel Jennifer who was innkeeper until 1671.† Baker, who may have had apprenticed as a Glover, arrived in Maryland indentured in 1669, and his indenture was completed by 1673. He was married by 1675 to Elizabeth Bateman, widow of Edward Bateman who immigrated before 1673.† Bateman was dead by 1674.† Other records indicate that John Baker immigrated to Maryland as early as 1665 with wife Joan and children John, Sarah, and Margaret Baker, and that he was awarded 50 acres in 1673 for his service to the colony. This is certainly compatible with John Baker then marrying Elizabeth Bateman in 1674.
If Whitelaw was correct, Jennifer had ceased operating the ordinary by 1671, and John Baker was operating as an innkeeper by 1673 in St Marys City.† In 1679 John Baker acquired a 25-year lease for house and one acre from Governor Thomas Notley (governor 1674-1675).† Note that the Baker sale at Shirley Hundred stipulated that ďkeepe the housing free for the entertainment of one Mr. Thomas Noathway for and during the term and time of seven years.Ē†
In 1676, JohnBaker started to acquire land and patented more than 3,000 acres on Eastern Shore.† At time of his death, he employed Thomas Beale to run the ordinary and resided at Bakers Choice near Mill Creek. His estate had a net positive of 300 pounds, which place him in the top 5% most wealthy at the time of death. In 1677 he was a member of the Common Council of St. Marys City and still a councilman in 1685.† He was appointed Sheriff from May 30, 1685 to May 4, 1686.† He was county appraiser in 1675, 1676, and 1679.† Elizabeth finally sold the ordinary in 1693.
According to a 1938 publication about Saint Marys City, in 1678 sheriff John Baker leased property on Middle Street in St. Marys City from Governor Thomas Notley across the street from Robert Ridgeley, Nicholas Painter, Daniel Clocker and John Lewellin. There was also the mill built previously by Governor William Stone located near here.† (A John Lewellin had been a Virginia headright in Charles City County in 1637 adjacent to John Baker of Shirley and Captain Henry Perry, a kinsman of Captain Francis Potts, wife of Susanna Baker.)
Edward Bateman = Elizabeth (Died 1712) = (2) John Baker (Died 1687)
1.†††††††††††† John Bateman
2.†††††††††††† William Bateman
3.†††††††††††† Elizabeth Bateman = Thomas Bailey (M1673)
4.†††††††††††† Mary Bateman. In 1665 Mary Bateman involved in legal action with or against Augustine Herman, Nicholas Spencer.† Nicholas Spencer involved with William Kendall who married Susanna Baker.† Augustine Herman is the brother-in-law to George Hack who was a neighbor and friend of Captain Edward Baker in Hacks Neck.† Daniel Lewellin married Edward and Susanneís sister Anne Baker.
5.†††††††††††† Richard Baker (Marriages and Deaths of St. Marys by Margaret Fresco)
6.†††††††††††† James Baker (Died 1703) married Ann Courtney, daughter of Thomas
7.†††††††††††† John Baker (Colonel) (Will April 22, 1730), born between 1675 Ė 1679. Inherited property in 1712, married Ann Courtney, who then married William Thompson. His son John Baker, inherited BLISTON property in 1712
Our first John Bakerís final property was inherited from his father-in-law at Shirley Hundred, and Colonel Edward Hill later purchased it.† Thomas Beale and William Whittington had been October 1657 head rights of Maurice Rose.† Maurice Rose had been a 1637 headright of Walter Aston of Shirley Hundred on land near adjacent to land Baker would inherit from his stepfather.† Captain William Whittington would reappear on Old Plantation Creek where John Baker had started, and his son, Colonel William Whittington sold fifteen hundred acres of the land originally patented by Captain William Eppes on Old Plantation Creek, and married the daughter of Tabitha Scarborough Brown Smart Custis Hill, Tabitha Smart.
| Tabitha Scarborough = Devereaux Brown = John Smart = John Custis  = Col. Edward Hill 
†††††††††††††††††††††††††† †††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††| Tabitha Smart = Wm Whittington
Note that John Custis purchased the old William Eppes Ė William Stone land from William Whittington on Old Plantation Creek, and then Colonel Edward Hill purchased the John Baker property at Shirley Hundred.
Meanwhile in 1658, Thomas Beale was again the headright, this time of Thomas House on the Potomac River with William Bateman (son of Edward Bateman?) and James Beale, and another Thomas Beale.† Thomas Beale later worked for John Baker at the tavern in Saint Marys, and John Baker married the widow of Edward Bateman, father of a William Bateman, and by 1698, Beale and sheriff John Bakerís son were both justices.†
The first time we met William Goldsmith is when he was guardian of the children of George Hack of Hacks Neck because neighbor and friend Edward Baker had given Hackís children each a gift of a horse, which were still quite rare.† Edward Baker was the son of John Baker of Shirley Hundred and sailed as a mariner with Daniel Lewellin working from ports in Charles County, Maryland.
This land extract convinced me that there was indeed some earlier connection among the Bakers.†
Thomas Beale (at Bakerís tavern) and William Goldsmith (mutual friend of George Hack with Edward Baker) sold the property BELLAINE originally patented by sheriff John Baker.
[Vol. 10, page 247. November 1, 1707]: Thomas Baker and John Baker of St. Marys City, and William Goldsmith and his wife Elizabeth, lately Elizabeth Ridgeley of Robert Ridgeley, son of Robert, of St. Marys City left land called BELLAINE on the east side of the Choptank River called Wicomico near Koons Bank to George Hutchins.
Sheriff John Bakerís Properties:
1.††††††††† 600 acres in Caroline County called BAKERS PLAINE patented in 1682
2.††††††††† 500 acres in Dorchester County called SHADWELL in 1684
3.††††††††† 510 acres in Dorchester called SHEELES in 1684
4.††††††††† 500 acres in Dorchester called BURFORDS HOPE in 1685
5.††††††††† 500 acres in Kent called CHEAPSIDE in 1684
6.††††††††† 500 acres in Kent called BAKERS CHANCE in 1685
7.††††††††† 500 acres in Kent called GROVE in 1685, with Thomas Beale
8.††††††††† A lot in St Marys City called BAKERS CHOICE in 1677
9.††††††††† 1.25 acres in St Marys City called The GOVERNORS FRIENDSHIP in 1681
10.††††††† 200 acres on St. Clears Creek granted Baker by George Warner in 1676
11.†††††††† A parcel on St Clears Creek granted Baker by William Holmes
12.††††††† 500 acres on St Jeromes Creek granted Baker by William Guither
13.††††††† 50 Acres on Blue Stone Creek granted Baker by Elias and Sarah Beech
14.††††††† 200 acres in St Marys City called BROAD NECK granted by Robert Mason in 1681
Shadwell was another Baker property; 500 acres settled in 1685 on the Choptank River. That property had been owned by Daniel St. Thomas Jennifer whose father settled the land called BAKERS FARM in Accomac around GARGATHA where we found so many of the Baker descendants. Daniel Jennifer had settled the will of the famous Southey Littleton who had as a guardian Daniel Baker, son of the John Baker of Shirley. Daniel Jennifer was the attorney in St. Marys for Sheriff John Baker.
In a Somerset County record, we found Elizabeth Baker; relict of John Baker of St. Mary tied in a bond with Thomas Harrison and John Luffin, and this mentioned Garrett Van Swearingen, John Bakerís neighbor in St Marys City.
We believe Elizabeth Baker may have remarried William Goldsmith who we find in 1707 with Thomas Beale and wife Elizabeth Baker Goldsmith handling the estate of Robert Ridgeley of St Marys City.† They assigned the estate of BELLAINE on the Choptank River, which was upriver from Issac Bakerís BAKERS FOLLEY (1684). It was originally patented by Robert Ridgeley of St Indigoes and eventually inhabited by sheriff John Baker.† This land was sold to George Hutchins. In Somerset in 1723, George Hutchins lived near Captain Charles Ballard, who in 1665 entered Somerset from St. Marys with an Elizabeth Baker, daughter of Edward Baker.† William Goldsmith's brother's name was Thomas Notley Goldsmith, and it was John Notley who gave Baker his authorization to operate the tavern for twenty-five years.
Elizabeth Baker was the executor of the estate of Robert Ridgeley, one of the wealthiest men in Maryland.† Her husband John Baker was in the top 5% in assets and his 300 compared to the 900 pounds of Ridgeley.†
In testimony by Elizabeth Baker on December 12, 1687, she said that Robert Guither (survivor of Battle of Severn) sold Robert Mason BROAD NECK on April 10, 1677 in St Marys Hundred adjacent to Thomas Griffin (Died 1665, wife Lucy).† On March 3, 1680, Mason sold it to sheriff John Baker.† John Baker made the land over to Thomas Bayle who had married Bakerís wifeís daughter, Elizabeth Bateman. There seems to be a connection to Thomas Bayly of the Upper James and Richard Bayly of Hacks Neck who claimed head rights for Hangate Baker, and there was also a Richard Bayly at Shirley Hundred in 1638 adjacent to the first John Baker.
In 1649, Richard Bayly was granted 700 acres on Cradicks Creek, (Cradock Creek in lower Accomac County) on September 15, 1649 for fourteen persons, many known Quakers, including the eleven above. The fourteen were: Elizabeth Lacy, Edward Tripp, Phillip Landford, John Butcher, James Wren, Henry Wood (Weed), Frauncis White, William Wheeler, Hangatt Baker, Thomas Bournham, William Howes, Elizabeth Wheatley, Lydia Wheatley, and Ambrose Dixon, a well known Quaker who first settled near Hacks Neck in a grant with Stephen Horsey, but became one of the orignial settlers of Someset County, Maryland with Stephen Horsey.
In Accomac County, we discovered that Robert Mason married Temperance Waddilow.† Her mother had first married Garrett Anderson then wealthy landowner Nicholas Waddilow.† Garrett had worked on the development of Kent Island and indentured to him was Hangate Baker. Garrettís father was Captain William Andrews. The name change may have been because he was a Quaker.† Garrett resided near Hacks Neck with his wife Amey Waddilow as had her prior husband, Nicholas Waddilow. Nicholas moved the entire family to Saint Marys City in 1658 but died that same year.† Her third husband was Thomas Fowke who operated the Puncoteaque Tavern where all official meetings were held.
Daughter Amey Waddilow married John Abbott who had also been a taxpayer on Kent Island in 1642 with Garrett and Hangate Baker. Sister Patience married William Nock of GARGATHA and sister Temperance married Robert Mason, whose daughter Elizabeth married Robert Parker of GARGATHA.† Our ancestor John Baker, grandson of the first John Baker of Shirley Hundred, purchased the Robert Parker property in Gargatha.† It is possible that this John Baker married the widow Elizabeth Mason Parker.
Nicholas Waddilow = Amey = (2) Garrett Anderson
| Amey = John Abbott† | Temperance = Robert Mason† | Patience = Wm Nock† | John Wallop
John Baker /Barker patented FENWICKS CHOICE by right of Thomas Fenwick in April 1685 which he then assigned to Woodman Stockley of Gargatha.† Thomas was the son of mariner Cuthbert Fenwick of St. Marys City.† As you can see, Fenwick was not too distant from the lands between Whaleyville and Gumboro that would be pioneered by his grandsons. Woodman Stockley was a cousin to Elizabeth Mason and Robert Parker of Gargatha.
Nicholas Waddilow of Hack's Neck, then a major port in Virginia, was an immediate neighbor of Dr. George Hack. Hack's children had been mentioned in the will of mariner Edward Baker in 1664. Edward Baker sailed with Daniel Lewellin and their names appear frequently in both Maryland and Virginia ports.† After Hack's death in 1664, William Goldsmith was appointed guardian of Hack's children.
In 1631, Claiborne led an expedition up the Chesapeake
††††††††††††††† In 1632 Henry Baker was an original Adventurer in St. Marys.
In 1633 Richard Baker at Kent Island with William Claiborne.
††††††††††††††† In 1634, Lord Baltimore granted Maryland as a settlement for Catholics and years of struggle with William Claiborne will continue until 1638. George Evelin resettles at Manor of Evelington at St Marys and brings Andrew Baker and Thomas Baker. Alexander follows the next year.† Andrew Baker died the following year mentioning James Courtney.† George Evelin and Henry Fleet both had major St. Marys properties adjacent to BAKERS CHOICE. [Indentured servants to Clobery and Company were: Jonathan Ayscue, Edward Deering, Andrew Baker, Thomas Baker, William Williamson, John Hatch, Philip West, John Dandy, and John Hobson]
1642. The governor's council consists of Gyles Brent, John Leweger, Thomas Green, Thomas Gerrard, and James Neale.
††††††††††††††† 1642 Hangate Baker owes taxes on Kent Island before going to Northampton, Va.
††††††††††††††† 1646. On July 30, Colonel Edward Hill was appointed as a temporary CEO of Maryland. Hill had land patents on the upper James River and in 1656 purchased Shirley on the upper James River from Daniel Lewellin who had purchased it from John Baker.
††††††††††††††† 1647. Governor Thomas Green
††††††††††††††† 1648. Governor William Stone, who lived 20 years on Old Plantation Creek appointed as Maryland governor.
††††††††††††††† 1649. Inge raids St Marys City
††††††††††††††† 1652. On June 28, 1652, William Stone relieved as Maryland governor by a committee led by Puritans Richard Bennett and William Claiborne. Stone attempts to hang onto power by negotiation until Calvert returns from England, but is out of office by the next year. Puritan leader Edward Lloyd wrote a letter on January 30, 1653 explaining the Puritan point of view and it was published in London. (Mentioned were Edward Lloyd, William Fuller, Richard Preston, Richard Durand, Captain John Smith, Richard Wells, and John Lawson.) There is additional pressure and Stone is out of office later that year. In 1655, Stone reassumed power and reorganized his military to put down a Puritan rebellion in Ann Arundel County.†† John Baker sat on the Privy Council with Daniel Jennifer, John Baker, Robert Ridgeley.† Ridgeley came over in 1635 on the same ship as Hangate Baker (Kent Island) and became one of the wealthiest men in the colony and his estate settled. Elizabeth Baker settled his estate. William Stone forced into retirement, thirty plus of his supporters killed or executed. A period of religious persecution against Catholics and other Protestants from 1655 to 1661 follows.†† Edward Hill buys Shirley from John Bakerís son-in-law, Daniel Lewellin.
††††††††††††††† 1658, a large patent across the Potomac River in Virginia by Thomas Woodhouse seems to include William Bateman and Thomas Beale.
1660s. Elizabeth Baker, daughter of Edward Baker of Hacks Neck,† is apparently married to a Thomas Green of Maryland
††††††††††††††† 1661 William Baker a witness to Forker Fissell of St. Marys County (December 13)
††††††††††††††† In 1664, Captain Edward Baker, associate of Captain Daniel Lewellin, died at sea from London to Virginia
††††††††††††††† In 1664, Hugh Baker of St. Marys City died, left a widow Elizabeth, who remarried Robert Davis. They resettled in GARGATHA.
1660s††††† On March 3, 1665, the will of Hugh Baker of St. Marys City was taken and appraised at 7 pounds. His wife Elizabeth remarried a Robert Davis and they resettled in GARGATHA in Accomac, Virginia.† There were debts mentioned in the settlement to a Hugh Baker, John Baker, and Daniel Clocker Jr. That same year, another Hugh Baker died, and his widow and her husband resettled in GARGATHA also.† Daniel Clocker Sr. had been in St. Marys as early as 1650, and Clocker Jr. lived in St. Marys City in 1665 and was married to a Patience Baker. In 1675, sheriff John Baker appraised his estate.† Her sister was Mary Baker, and they were daughters of William and Mary Baker of St. Marys whose will would be administered by sheriff John Baker in 1675. Daniel Clocker and his wife Patience would be 1675 neighbors of sheriff John Baker in St. Marys.† New husband Robert Davis claimed headrights for a Jonathon Baker in 1665, and In 1670, a Hugh Baker was recorded across the river in Northumberland with William Flowers witnessed the gift of a calf by Jonathon Baker to his daughter Ann Price. In 1672 Robert Davis patented 350 acres in the Quaker area of Muddy Creek (actually GARGATHA) in Accomac.†
††††††††††††††† In 1669, Baker apparently came into Maryland as an indentured servant.† By 1673, he had finished his contract. In 1674, John Baker was a witness to a land patent by Daniel Jennifer and Thomas Courtney. Neighbor Van Swearingen was a co-witness.† Bakerís son married Courtneyís daughter.† Va Swearingen, and John Baker witnessed the land sale between Daniel Jennifer and Thomas Courtney for the 100-acre COMEWAY.
1670s††††† In 1670, Jonathan Baker was a witness to Richard Moy of St Marys and Daniel Jennifer witnessed his will. Elizabeth Moy mentions Elizabeth Baker. This will was resubmitted on December 9, 1675 and this time mentioned Garret Van Swearingen and Richard Chillman.
††††††††††††††† A George Baker, Mariner, sometimes is mentioned in bills of sale in 1670.† He had been called a cousin by John Webster of Virginia.
††††††††††††††† In 1672, Daniel Jennifer patented SHADWELL, which was granted to John Baker of St Marys City, which he reassigned to John Pierce and his wife Elizabeth.† It appears to be Bakerís first land and therefore most important. A Robert Collier willed this property to his son in 1702, but in 1674 Collier had assigned other land to Isaac Foxcroft of Northampton, Virginia who was distinguished with Daniel Jennifer for their bravery during Baconís Rebellion under the command of Nathaniel Littleton. Foxcroft married the granddaughter of Francis Potts, and Nathaniel Littletonís will was settled by Daniel Baker, brother of mariner Edward Baker (D1664).† Daniel and his sister Susanna Baker were responsible for Nathaniel Littletonís orphan children.
††††††††††††††† In 1673, Daniel Jennifer witnessed the will of a George Parker who held significant land near GARGATHA.† Jennifer settled the will of Devoreaux Brown whose widow subsequently married Colonel Edward Hill of Shirley, and who served as Marylandís CEO. He also settled the estate of Southy Littleton whose father had left Daniel and Susanna Baker as overseers of his children.† Daniel and Susanna were children of John Baker of Shirley.
††††††††††††††† 1673 Wm. Jones of Northampton granted DONCASTER, claiming head right for Edward Baker.
††††††††††††††† 1673-1675, married the widow Elizabeth Bateman
††††††††††††††† In 1674, Jonathon Baker, glover, assigned his rights received from John Hollingsworth to Joseph Smith and William Colburn of Somerset.
††††††††††††††† 1674; Richard Baker, gentleman, came to the citation regarding the will of Samuel Crefsay.
††††††††††††††† In 1674, a Caleb Baker, Mariner, is a major player in the area.† He administered Augustine Hermanís will. In this year, he executed the will of William Hatloff, late of Bristol, who declared the goods on his ship to be administered by friends Caleb Baker and Major Edward Fitzherbert.† He lived at Indigoes Creek. Mentioned were Robert Ridgeley, John Barnes, and Garrett Van Swearingen. . 1676 Caleb Baker executed will of William Haft (December 19).
††††††††††††††† In 1675, Baker was county appraiser.†
††††††††††††††† 1675. Maurice Baker of Charles County was mentioned in the will of William Crouch.
††††††††††††††† In 1675, John Baker administered the estate of William and Mary Baker, both deceased in 1675 with an estate worth 3,500 pounds. Baker's will would request that Garrett Van Swearingen or John Barnes take their children, Mary Baker and Patience Baker, as guardians but they both refused. Both Barnes and Van Swearingen had been owed money by William Baker. Thomas Courtney and John Baker as well as Richard Chillman were mentioned as beng involved in the settlement of the estate. A Robert Smith was paid off, and Van Swearingen finally settled the estate in 1677. John Baker, neighbor Richard Chillman, and neighbor Thomas Courtney would administer the sale of their estate.† John Barnes came forward to make a deposition. He had been at Isle of Wight in Virginia and his son was involved with land around GARGATHA.
††††††††††††††† August 18, 1675, John Backer and Jone Baker witnessed Thomas Greenfield of St Charles County who in his will left personality to John Baker. John Baker's daughter Sarah Baker married John Lambert in 1685.. Note that a John Baker was awarded 50 acres ten years before with wife Joan Baker, and son John Baker. (In Virginia, just below the community of the upper James River, a Robert Greenfield and Robert Mason were headrights of Thomas Markam, a neighbor at Shirley Hundred of John Baker and Daniel Lewellin. Robertís wife married Thomas Walker.)
††††††††††††††† 1675. The map shows the close location of some important persons. Bakerís neighbor Daniel Clocker was married to Patience Baker, daughter of William and Mary Baker, and the two daughters of neighbor Thomas Courtney were married to the sons of John Baker.† Baker Brook was the military commander who settled here in 1658
††††††††††††††† On August 15, 1676, Captain Roger Baker of Wapping, Middlesex, England with lands in Maryland wrote his will, and he had a brother named John Baker.† Mentioned brother-in-law Abraham Hughes of Echington, Berkshire.† Roger had land in Accomac.† Thomas Courtney mentioned in an administration of the Roger Baker will.† He left sister Mary Clark, son Roger Baker Jr., daughter Honor Baker, and his daughter Mary Baker married Maryland Governor Thomas Johnson.† Caleb Baker executed it.† We think that brother John Baker may have been sheriff John Baker because he started to acquire his lands after this Roger Baker will.
††††††††††††††† In 1676, Robert Ridgeley was the attorney for Sheriff John Baker
††††††††††††††† In 1676, John Baker began to acquire a great deal of land.
††††††††††††††† In 1677, Rebecca Baker married Jonathon Beale of St. Marys.
††††††††††††††† In 1679, John Baker Jr. of St. Mary's County (wife Mary Courtney) patented land on the south side of the Choptank River in Dorchester County on Hunting Creek. This John Baker had married the sister of Nicholas Courtney and inherited the land from her and assigned it to Nicholas Painter, all neighbors in St. Marys.† Thomas Courtney and Nicholas Painter were neighbors in St. Marys City of sheriff John Baker.
††††††††††††††† In 1679, Daniel Jennifer of St Marys City settled the estate of Southy Littleton of Virginia.† Southy had been left as an orphan and his father provided for Daniel Baker and Susanna Baker Eyre to look after Southy.† Daniel and Susanna were children of John Baker of Shirley.
††††††††††††††† 1679 Thomas Baker witnessed will of John Casson (December 23).
1680s††††† In 1683, Richard Hill assigned land in Maryland to Jonathon Baker. Hillís daughter married the son of Thomas Eyre and Susanna Baker. Hill also involved with some land with Isaac Baker of St Marys who patented land on the Nanticoke River 1689.
††††††††††††††† In 1684, Caleb Baker immigrated to St Marys County.† He administered the will of Augustine Herman, brother-in-law to Edward Hack, Captain Edward Bakerís friend. He was a witness to the will of John Barnes whose son had land in GARGATHA.† Caleb is apparently a mariner and mentioned in many transactions.
††††††††††††††† In 1685, George Parker was an attorney for John Baker in St Marys. Parker later purchased a significant parcel of land from Daniel Jennifer at Gargatha, Accomac.
††††††††††††††† The will of Thomas Baker of nearby Charles County, Maryland was presented on September 5, 1685. will to wife Martha, witnessed by Edward Butler, Edward Nibbs, Chris Johnson, Robert Huc (November 18)† In 1650, Thomas moved to Myrtle Bay in Prince Georges County and used this a base for his extensive maritime operations in Maryland and Virginia.† He was a witness to the will of John Casson in 1679.† His wife was Martha who we think remarried John Harrison (D1687) and his son Thomas Baker married Martha Britt. He mentioned unnamed children but we have identified two of them as Thomas Baker Jr., and Elizabeth Baker Smith, wife of Anthony Smith.† She was left personality by Jarvis Pearleís will of 1686, and John Pearle was mentioned in the will of John Baker (Ann Arundel), Mariner of Dover, Kent in his will of 1722. That same year, John Baker of Ann Arundel sold BAKERS DELIGHT to John Buckingham.†† In 1667, Thomas Baker had gotten into some trouble for calling Job Chandler, a fried of William Stone, a ďspindell shanked dog.Ē† Chandler had married the daughter of Adam Thorogood of Lynnhaven, brother-in-law of John Baker of Mayfield and Lynnhaven.
††††††††††††††† In 1684, the will of Richard Lloyd of St Marys County left his estate to a group of people; Elizabeth, the widow of Hugh Baker, god daughter Dorothy Taylor, John English, Henry Fipps, Richard Forest, and Edward Williamson. Richard Lloyd was in Pitts Creek in 1675 and sold land to John Merrill whose sister married Thomas Baker of Pitts Creek, eldest son of Hugh Baker of the other Hugh Baker of Northampton.††
††††††††††††††† 1685 John Woodman assigned John Baker (Gargatha) FENWICKS CHOICE.
††††††††††††††† 1687, sheriff John Baker died.
††††††††††††††† 1687. In another Somerset land record, "Elizabeth relict of John Baker of St. Mary was bonded with Thomas Harrison and John Lufflin" and this mentioned Garret Van Swerigen, a neighbor of the Sheriff in St. Marys
††††††††††††††† In 1683, Captain Richard Hill, a 1637 headright on Old Plantation Creek, granted Jonathon Baker of ďlate of Ann ArundelĒ land. of William Stoneís brother-in-law. He was a mariner and reported in several land grants; in 1637 to John Neale of Old Plantation Creek.† Issac Baker of St. Marys was a witness to the will of a Robert Hill (deceased) administered by Richard Hill of Ann Arundel in 1686.† Richard Hill married the daughter of soldier Sir Robert Drake who died in Northampton very shorty after his arrival. (He had the same coat of arms as Sir Robert Drake). Hillís daughter Mary Hill married captain John Eyre (Ayers), son of Thomas Eyre and his wife Susanna Baker. Settlers were recruited from Thomas Eyreís plantation to go to Ann Arundel in 1648.† Daughter Patience Hill married John Drummond of GARGATHA who fled Accomac in 1692 as a Quaker.† Richard Hill and Joseph Harrison were both involved in administering the estates of William Bateman in 1686, and William Barker in 1686.††
††††††††††††††† 1684. James Cullen of St. Marys mentioned John Baker and Captain Thomas Allen in his 1684 will.
††††††††††††††† 1684. Both sheriff John Baker and Thomas Beale patented GROVE.
††††††††††††††† 1685 John Baker of St. Mary's, Sheriff. Daniel Jennifer is his attorney.
††††††††††††††† 1686, John Baker of GARGATHA granted 400 acres of FENWICKS CHOICE
††††††††††††††† 1688 Sister Anne Acton Baker by John Acton of Ann Arundel. (May 3)
††††††††††††††† 1689, Issac Baker (D1689) now of SUNSETTING on the Nanticioke River, previously mentioned with Thomas Purnell (Somerset) Richard Hill and Jonathan Baker in Ann Arundel, had a son named John Baker (B1684).† Issac patented BAKERS FOLLEY before he died that year in the Delaware River.† In Ann Arundel a James Baker also patented a BAKERS FOLLEY.† In 1722, a James Baker sold BAKERS FOLLEY to John and Thomas Huffington. See 1722.
1690s††††† 1692, Jonathan Baker was a witness to the will of Fobbe Roberts of St Marys on June 10, 1692 who mentioned niece Ellinor Courtney and nephew John Johnson.
††††††††††††††† A James Baker made claim to BAKERS FOLLEY in Dorchester.
††††††††††††††† 1694, John Baker/Barker buys land from Daniel Jennifer at GARGATHA, Accomac, Va.
††††††††††††††† 1699 Joseph Baker of Calvert County to brother William Baker in Gilford, Surrey England, John Leach Jr. to take charge of my estate for my said brother.
On March 3 1707, Thomas Beale of St. Mary's, William Goldsmith and his wife Elizabeth, executor of Robert Ridgeley of St. Mary's, assigned to George Hutchins of Somerset the land tract BELLAINE on east side of the Choptank River and the Wicomico River near Koons Bank.
††††††††††††††† On August 21, 1712, Elizabeth Bakerís will was presented and she left her land to son John Baker and grandson John Baker.
††††††††††††††† In 1722, Issac Bakerís son, John Baker, sold BAKERS FOLLEY .See 1707.
††††††††††††††† In 1721, Audry Taxlaurd of St Marys mentioned Richard Lewellin, grandson of John and Margaret Lewellin, and Ann Baker, widow of John Baker, and her son John Baker.
††††††††††††††† In 1722, a John Baker, sold portions of BELLAINE which was on the Rockawalking Branch and therefore near SUNSETTING.
††††††††††††††† That same year, James Baker sold BAKERS FOLLEY to John and Thomas Huffington, sons of James Huffington (B1648) and his wife Elizabeth Easton (B1657) of FENWICK.† FENWICK had been bought and sold by John Baker of GARGATHA in 1686.
††††††††††††††† At the death of James Baker (BAKERS FOLLEY) in 1725, a William Baker, George Baker, and John Baker witnessed his will.
††††††††††††††† In 1730, in the Nanticoke Hundred records of 1730 and 1740, the names Thomas Baker and William Baker appear adjacent to one another, and adjacent to a clan of Huffingtons including John Sr., John Jr., Jonathan, Richard, and Thomas Huffington.