St Marys City, Maryland

When Maryland was granted to Lord Baltimore in 1634, it was cut out of land that had been previously granted to Virginia, which did not please Virginia officials. Virginians had been on the eastern Shore since 1614, with development beginning in 1621.  Secretary Pory was told by the chief of the Eastern Shore Indians that there were 50 happy Englishmen living two days sail above Northampton. 

 

Before 1634, William Claiborne attempted to establish his own plantation at Kent Island on the eastern Shore.  He named it after Kent, England where he had spent some of his youth and his father had met his mother.  Claiborne contracted men from the then upper reaches of the James River and Northampton, Virginia in the first years of Kent.  Suddenly, in 1634, Maryland was awarded to the Catholic Lord Baltimore and Protestant Kent Island was suddenly in Maryland territory reporting to a Catholic overlord.  Claiborne simply tried to ignore it at first claiming that he had been located here first, but after a drawn out legal battle and some apparent dirty back room deal, Claiborne lost Kent Island and it was awarded to Maryland officials.

In England, the Puritan movement had been gaining strength for several decades, and this was supported by Parliament because the English King had reduced their authority.  There was a civil war, and Oliver Cromwell led the forces of Parliament to defeat the King, who they judged, found guilty, and executed.  (Read more about William Claiborne and Kent Island, and the large number of Baker folks involved.)

 

In a nutshell, the Protestant Virginians were stirring trouble for the besieged Catholics at every turn, and the Catholic Marylanders disproved of Claiborne’s attempts to reclaim Kent Island.  Depending on whose history you read, pirates or passionate Puritans attacked Maryland ships and St. Marys City. Leonard Calvert was in Virginia and gave the authority on July 30, 1646 to Captain Edward Hill to serve as Maryland's temporary CEO.     For the discussion about the Bakers of Maryland, I will begin with William Stone.

 

Governor William Stone

Three years after becoming Maryland's governor, on June 28, 1652, William Claiborne and Richard Bennett gave William Stone a letter indicating that he was to step down as Governor and they were to bring both Maryland and Virginia into Cromwell's Puritan regime. Stone continues to negotiate with them waiting for Calvert to return from England. In that period, he successfully led a group of his soldiers against sixty Puritans at Patuxent River but this quickened his ouster.

John Baker sat on the privy council of Governor William Stone in the turbulent times of 1655: John Baker, Robert Ridgeley, William Smith, and Daniel Jennifer were three specifically mentioned. That same year, Stone and a company of men, probably reported at between 130 and 200, were trapped in the Severn River by the Puritan forces and most were killed. Only a few escaped the massacre that day and mentioned by name were William Stone, Colonel John Price, Captain Gerrad, Captain Lewis, Captain Kendall, Captain Guither, and Major (Job) Chandler.
Stone’s reign was very turbulent, and basically ended with the Battle of Severn. Three days after the battle, ten men were put on the scaffold, and four were hanged before cooler heads prevailed. Stone went into battle with somewhere between 130 and 200 men, and all were killed or captured but ten. Those not killed had their assets taken, but history is quiet about who they were. The four hanged were William Eltonhead and a German with him, Mr. Leggatt, and William Lewis. Stone was spared while waiting on the scaffold, but went into retirement shortly after. A six-year period of persecution against the Catholics and Church of England Protestants followed. 

 

William Stone had spent almost 20 years in Northampton County, Virginia at Old Plantation Creek on land that had been patented by Captain William Eppes, the commander of the Eastern Shore, at Old Plantation Creek.  Eppes asked his friend William Stone in 1628 to manage his plantation.  Stationed with Eppes was John Baker, who resettled early in the 1630s on the upper James River at what we know as City Point, Turkey island, and Shirley plantation where he was apparently a tobacco inspector at the end of his life.   His children were Edward, Daniel, Hugh, Susanna, and Ann.  Ann married Captain Daniel Lewellin whose name appears frequently in Maryland records with her brother Edward Baker hauling tobacco. Daniel Lewellin purchased John Baker’s land at Shirley in 1656 and later sold it to Colonel Edward Hill, who was appointed as interim CEO of Maryland in 1647 prior to William Stone being selected by Oliver Cromwell to become Maryland’s 3rd governor in 1648.  Susanna Baker was married to Thomas Eyre, and it was at his BENNETTS Plantation on the James River that William Stone went to recruit settlers to move into Ann Arundel, Maryland.

 

Privy Council

q       William Smith’s widow married Daniel Jennifer, and we wonder if this was the son of William Smith of Old Plantation Creek, neighbor of Governor William Stone when he was living there.

q       Robert Ridgeley died as one of the wealthiest men in Maryland and his will was executed by the wife of sheriff John Baker of St. Marys City.

q       John Baker we speculate was John Baker of Shirley Hundred, a friend of Governor William Stone. 

q       Daniel Jennifer.

 

Daniel Jennifer

Daniel Jennifer was an attorney and his name appears in many wills of that period.  Whitelaw had reason to believe that he had operated an ordinary at St. Marys City.  He married as his first wife, Mary Smith, widow of William Smith. (We've found cryptic notes that he had married a daughter of Adam Thorogood of Lynnhaven, but nothing more.   Jennifer fought under Colonel Southy Littleton with the Eastern Shore soldiers to gain back Jamestown for Governor William Berkeley.  Governor Berkeley retired to Arlington House on Old Plantation Creek and here is where the officers gathered for their offensive.  Daniel Jennifer and Isaac Foxcroft were two who distinguished themselves.  Colonel Littleton’s father had royal descent, was one of the largest landowners on the Eastern Shore, and left younger son Southy Littleton 4,200 acres of land on Nandua Creek near Hack’s Neck.  Littleton had established this in the 1620s as a major trading post with the Indians.  Littleton’s guardians in 1656 were Daniel Baker, and Susanna Baker Eyre, children of John Baker of Shirley.  Jennifer also administered the 1673 will of Devoreau Brown whose widow married Colonel John Custis of Arlington House on Old Plantation Creek, and then remarries Colonel Edward Hill of Shirley who would purchase the land of John Baker of Shirley whose grandson would pay the king’s ransom of 20,000 pounds to buy adjoining land on Old Plantation Creek in 1694.

 

Southy Littleton’s neighbor was Colonel Edmund Scarborough who spent many years fighting Maryland over the Maryland and Virginia dividing line, and he basically drew the line thirty miles north of the previous agreement.  Edmund Scarborough had as his house guest in 1663 a young lady, Ann Toft (Born 1643), who in 1664 was granted by Scarborough a plantation called GARGATHA in an isolated location at that time.  Daniel Jennifer purchased a piece of property in the same location called BAKERS FARM. 

 

Anne Toft

It seemed strange to have this young female in this remote location, but part of the deal was that Scarborough had visitation rights.  Scarborough died after leaving her with three daughters, and she married Daniel Jennifer in 1671, who then settled in Accomac, and subsequently was appointed High Sheriff and held other high positions.  This was very unusual for a Catholic.  Daniel Jennifer and wife Ann Toft began developing GARGATHA, and one of the major landowners there were was George Parker.  George Parker and Robert Davis had been headrights on the Rappahanock River in 1665 and the two resettled in GARGATHA.  Robert Davis married the widow of Hugh Baker of St. Marys City on route to GARGATHA.  George Parker and Jonathan Barnes patented land together on the ocean at GARGATHA. They were neighbors with Robert Davis (who married widow of Hugh Baker of St. Marys), Jonathan Barnes, Daniel Jennifer, and later John Baker.  Daniel Jennifer had one son by Anne Toft, Daniel of St. Thomas Jennifer, who distinguished himself in St. Marys. 

 

 

Daniel Lewellin

Daniel Lewellin was a 1633 headright, along with George Baker of Henry Perry. Perry's wife was the widow of Richard Pace, and mother of the wife of Richard Baker of nearby Bakers Plantation.  Finally, Henry Perry was called a kinsman in the will of Francis Potts, brother of Governor John Potts of Virginia, and second husband of Susanna Baker Eyre.

 

In 1650, Lewellin claimed head rights for Edward Baker (D1664), and again in 1656, he claimed head rights along the Rappahannock River for Edward Baker.  Edward Baker was apparently operating from a port in Charles County, Md. by 1662 as John Needs, Samuel Price, and Captain John Meeos mentioned him in dispositions. Thomas Baker, who originally had been in St Marys City, also operated his maritime business form the same place.

Daniel Lewellin purchased the John Baker land at Shirley Hundred on the James River from John Baker and Dorothy Harris Baker in 1656. He would sell this land to Captain Edward Hill who was the 1646 chief executive of Maryland with the provision that Hill  “keepe the housing free for the entertainment of one Mr. Thomas Noathway for and during the term and time of seven years.”  We also later found an obscure reference to relict Dorothy Baker, Edward Baker, and Daniel Lewellin, which would indicate that Edward Baker was a brother or son of John Baker. 

 

Lewellin’s daughter Martha’s husband claimed headrights for William Mumms whose daughter married Hugh Baker. Previously, Mumms had been stationed with John Baker under the command of William Eppes.  Was John Lewellin, the neighbor of Sheriff John Baker in St. Marys City, a son?  He had earlier in 1637 been in Charles City County on land adjacent to Henry Perry who called Francis Potts, husband of Susanna Baker, a “cousin”.  Daniel Lewellin’s name frequently appears in the commercial records along the rivers of Maryland and Northern Neck, Virginia.  Daniel Lewellin first entered Virginia in 1633 with George Baker as headrights of Captain William Perry on Turkey Island near Shirley Hundred.  Perry referred to Major Francis Potts as a cousin, and Potts married Susanna Baker Eyre. John Webster whose will was settled by William Mumms, and who was the guardian of Webster’s son, neighbor of Francis Potts, called George Baker a cousin.

 

Edward Hill

Colonel Edward Hill, who purchased Baker’s property at Shirley from Daniel Lewellin, was appointed as the 1646 CEO of Maryland prior to Governor Thomas Green in 1647, and Governor William Stone in 1648.  Hill later married the widow of Colonel John Custis of Arlington House on Old Plantation Creek adjacent to the land where the Virginia Company fort had been established and therefore the location of Captain William Eppes, John Baker, William Mumms, William Stone, and very near the plantation of Susanna Baker Eyre and her subsequent husbands Thomas Eyre and Francis Potts.  Prior to marrying Edward Hill and John Custis, Tabitha had been married to Devoreaux Brown who had his will settled by Daniel Jennifer of St Marys City. Brown had claimed headrights for Daniel Baker, the other Baker son, and Griffith Savage who later purchased a large tract of land from Daniel Jennifer in the GARGATHA area of Accomac, Virginia.

 

 

Sheriff John Baker of St. Marys City

Let’s move forward for a moment to the best-recorded Baker in Maryland at that time, Sheriff John Baker of St. Marys who was the Innkeeper of St. Marys City before 1673, probably following Daniel Jennifer who was innkeeper until 1671.  Baker, who probably had apprenticed as a glover, arrived in Maryland indentured in 1669, and his indenture was completed by 1673. He was married by 1675 to Elizabeth Bateman, widow of Edward Bateman who immigrated before 1673.  Bateman was dead by 1674. 

 

Other records indicate that John Baker immigrated to Maryland as early as 1665 with wife Joan and children John, Sarah, and Margaret Baker, and that he was awarded 50 acres in 1673 for his service to the colony. This is certainly compatible with John Baker then marrying Elizabeth Bateman in 1674.

 

If Whitelaw was correct, Jennifer had ceased operating the ordinary by 1671, and John Baker was operating as an innkeeper by 1673 in St Marys City.  In 1679 John Baker acquired a 25-year lease for house and one acre from Governor Thomas Notley (governor 1674-1675).  In 1676,Baker started to acquire land and patented more than 3,000 acres on Eastern Shore.  At time of his death, he employed Thomas Beale to run the ordinary and resided at Bakers Choice near Mill Creek. His estate had a net positive of 300 pounds, which place him in the top 5% most wealthy at the time of death. In 1677 he was a member of the Common Council of St. Marys City and still a councilman in 1685.  He was appointed Sheriff from May 30, 1685 to May 4, 1686.  He was county appraiser in 1675, 1676, and 1679.  Elizabeth finally sold the ordinary in 1693.

 

A researcher once faxed me pages from a 1938 publication about St. Marys in which the author, Henry Chandlee Forman, laid out the various properties in St. Marys and the names of their owners. Several jumped out to my attention:

 

According to this publication, in 1678 sheriff John Baker leased property on Middle Street in St. Marys City from Governor Thomas Notley across the street from Robert Ridgeley, Nicholas Painter, Daniel Clocker and John Lewellin. There was also the mill built previously by Governor William Stone located near here.  (A John Lewellin had been a Virginia headright in Charles City County in 1637 adjacent to John Baker of Shirley and Captain Henry Perry, a kinsman of Captain Francis Potts, wife of Susanna Baker. Read more about more links by clicking here.)

 

Genealogy

Edward Bateman = Elizabeth (Died 1712) = (2) John Baker (Died 1687) =(3) William Goldsmith

q       John Bateman

q       William Bateman

q       Elizabeth Bateman= Thomas Bailey (M1673)

q       Mary Bateman. In 1665 Mary Bateman involved in legal action with or against  Augustine Herman, Nicholas Spencer.  Nicholas Spencer involved with William Kendall who married Susanna Baker.  Augustine Herman is the brother-in-law to George Hack who was a neighbor and friend of Captain Edward Baker in Hacks Neck.  Daniel Lewellin married Edward and Susanne’s sister Anne Baker.

q       Richard Baker (Marriages and Deaths of St. Marys by Margaret Fresco)

q       James Baker (Died 1703), married Ann Courtney, daughter of Thomas

q       John Baker (Colonel) (Will April 22, 1730), born between 1675 – 1679. Inherited property in 1712, married Ann Courtney, who then married William Thompson.

o         John Baker, inherited BLISTON property in 1712

 

Thomas Beale

Thomas Beale and William Whittington had been October 1657 headrights in Charles City County of Maurice Rose.  Both had previously been in the colonies and were returning again to Virginia.  Maurice Rose had been a headright of Walter Aston of Shirley Hundred in 1637 on land near our 1st John Baker, adjacent to land Baker would inherit from his stepfather. 

In May of 1658, Thomas Beale was again the headright, this time of Thomas house on the Potomac River with William Bateman and James Beale, and another Thomas Beale.  By 1698, he and sheriff John Baker’s son were both justices.  Beale and William Goldsmith sold the property BELLAINE patented by sheriff John Baker.
Vol. 10, page 247. November 1, 1707: Thomas Baker, and John Baker of St. Marys City, and William Goldsmith and his wife Elizabeth, lately Elizabeth Ridgeley of Robert Ridgeley, son of Robert, of St. Marys City left land called BELLAINE on the east side of the Choptank River called Wicomico near Koons Bank to George Hutchins. (In 1700, a Charles Hutchins on behalf of Thomas Clocker of Dorchester on land that William Bennett, late of Talbot purchased) .
Thomas Beale and Thomas Ballard, a member of Governor Berkeleys (Virginia) Privy Council in 1674, witnessed the will of Charles Ballard of Somerset and St Marys. Mentioned widow Sarah married Stephen Luffin of Somerset, witnesses were John Goldsmith, Thomas Ballard, and Thomas Beale. Visit Thomas Baker on the Pocomoke River to learn more about Hutchins

 

John Baker’s Properties:

q       600 acres in Caroline County called BAKERS PLAINE patented in 1682

q       500 acres in Dorchester County called SHADWELL in 1684

q       510 acres in Dorchester called SHEELES in 1684

q       500 acres in Dorchester called BURFORDS HOPE in 1685

q       500 acres in Kent called CHEAPSIDE in 1684

q       500 acres in Kent called BAKERS CHANCE in 1685

q       500 acres in Kent called GROVE in 1685, with Thomas Beale

q       A lot in St Marys City called BAKERS CHOICE in 1677

q       1.25 acres in St Marys City called The GOVERNORS FRIENDSHIP in 1681

q       200 acres on St. Clears Creek granted Baker by George Warner in 1676

q       A parcel on St Clears Creek granted Baker by William Holmes

q       500 acres on St Jeromes Creek granted Baker by William Guither

q       50 Acres on Blue Stone Creek granted Baker by Elias and Sarah Beech

q       200 acres in St Marys City called BROAD NECK granted by Robert Mason in 1681

 

In a Somerset County record, we found Elizabeth Baker, relict of John Baker of St. Mary tied in a bond with Thomas Harrison and John Luffin, and this mentioned Garrett Van Swearingen, John Baker’s neighbor in St Marys City. John Luffin

 

Robert Mason

In testimony by Elizabeth Baker on December 12, 1687, she said that Robert Guither (survivor of Battle of Severn) sold Robert Mason BROAD NECK on April 10, 1677 in St Marys Hundred adjacent Thomas Griffin (Died 1665, wife Lucy).  On March 3, 1680, Mason sold it to sheriff John Baker.  John Baker made the land over to Thomas Bayle who had married Baker’s wife’s daughter, Elizabeth Bateman. There seems to be a connection to Thomas Bayly of the Upper James and Richard Bayly of Hacks Neck, and there was also a Richard Bayly at Shirley Hundred in 1638 adjacent to the 1st John Baker.

 

In Accomac County, we discovered that Robert Mason had married Temperance Waddilow.  Her mother had first married Garrett Anderson then wealthy landowner Nicholas Waddilow.  Garrett had worked on the development of Kent Island with Hangate Baker and his father, Captain William Andrews. When he relocated back to Old Plantation Creek, he called himself Anderson. Garrett resided at Hacks Neck with his wife Amey Waddilow as did Nicholas Waddilow. Her third husband was Thomas Fowke who operated the Puncoteaque Tavern where all official meeting were held.

 

Daughter Amey married John Abbott who had been a taxpayer on Kent Island in 1642. Sister Patience married William Nock of GARGATHA and sister Temperance married Robert Mason, whose daughter Elizabeth married Robert Parker of GARGATHA.  John Baker, son of Hugh Baker of Northampton, who resettled at GARGATHA most likely, remarried Elizabeth.  Hangate Baker, who we isolated at Kent Island in 1642, resettled near here and was involved in a legal dispute with Garrett Andrews. You can visit Gargatha by clicking here.

 

Fenwicks Choice

John Baker /Barker of Gargatha patented FENWICKS CHOICE by right of Thomas Fenwick in April 1685 which he then assigned to Woodman Stockley of Gargatha.  Thomas was the son of mariner Cuthbert Fenwick of St. Marys City.  As you can see, Fenwick was not too distant from the lands between Whaleyville and Gumboro that would be pioneered by his grandsons. Woodman Stockley was a cousin to Elizabeth Mason and Robert Parker of Gargatha.

 

Nicholas Waddilow of Hack's Neck, then a major port in Virginia, was an immediate neighbor of Dr. George Hack. Hack's children had been mentioned in the will of mariner Edward Baker in 1664. Edward Baker sailed with Daniel Lewellin and their names appear frequently in both Maryland and Virginia ports.  After Hack's death in 1664, William Goldsmith was appointed guardian of Hack's children.

 

William Goldsmith

We first met William Goldsmith when he was appointed guardian of George Hacks children in Hacks Neck, Virginia.  There was already a Samuel Goldsmith at Hack’s Neck who we think may have been an uncle.  William Goldsmith first entered the colonies in when he and Edward Beseaker (Baker) were headrights of John Gater in lower Norfolk.  Hack’s neighbor Edward Baker (D1664), partner of Daniel Lewellin, had given the Hack children a gift of a calf each.  George Hack was the brother-in-law to Augustine Herman who we found in litigation with Mary Bateman, stepdaughter of sheriff John Baker.

 

Elizabeth Baker remarried William Goldsmith who we find in 1707 with Thomas Beale and wife Elizabeth Baker Goldsmith handling the estate of Robert Ridgeley of St Marys City.  They assigned the estate of BELLAINE on the Choptank River, which was upriver from Issac Baker’s BAKERS FOLLEY (1684). It was originally patented by Robert Ridgeley of St Indigoes and eventually inhabited by sheriff John Baker.  This land was sold to George Hutchins. In Somerset in 1723, George Hutchins lived near Captain Charles Ballard, who in 1665 entered Somerset from St. Marys with an Elizabeth Baker.  William Goldsmith's brother's name was Thomas Notley Goldsmith!

 

Elizabeth Baker was the executor of the estate of Robert Ridgeley, one of the wealthiest men in Maryland.  Husband John Baker was in the top 5% in assets and his 300 compared to the 900 pounds of Ridgeley. 

 

Shadwell was another Baker property; 500 acres settled in 1685 on the Choptank River. That property had been owned by Daniel St. Thomas Jennifer whose father settled the land called BAKERS FARM in Accomac around GARGATHA where we found so many of the Baker descendants. Daniel Jennifer had settled the will of the famous Southey Littleton who had as a guardian Daniel Baker, son of the John Baker of Shirley. Daniel Jennifer was the attorney in St. Marys for Sheriff John Baker.

 

Time Line

1630s

1631, Claiborne led an expedition up the Chesapeake

 

1632 Henry Baker an original Adventurer in St. Marys.

1633 Richard Baker at Kent Island with William Claiborne.

 

1634. Lord Baltimore granted Maryland as a settlement for Catholics and years of struggle with William Claiborne will continue until 1638.

 

George Evelyn resettles at Manor of Evelington at St Marys and brings Andrew Baker and Thomas Baker. Alexander follows the next year.  Andrew Baker died the following year mentioning James Courtney.

 


George Evelyn and Henry Fleet both had major St. Marys properties adjacent to BAKERS CHOICE. [Indentured servants to Clobery and Company were: Jonathan Ayscue, Edward Deering, Andrew Baker, Thomas Baker, William Williamson, John Hatch, Philip West, John Dandy, and John Hobson]

1640s

1642. The governor's council consists of Gyles Brent, John Leweger, Thomas Green, Thomas Gerrard, and James Neale.

 

1642 Hangate Baker owes taxes on Kent Island before going to Northampton, Va.

 

1646. On July 30, Colonel Edward Hill was appointed as a temporary CEO of Maryland. Hill had land patents on the upper James River and in 1656 purchased Shirley on the upper James River from Daniel Lewellin who had purchased it from John Baker.

 

1647. Governor Thomas Green

 

1648. Governor William Stone, who lived 20 years on Old Plantation Creek appointed as Maryland governor.

 

1649. Inge raids St Marys City

1650s

1652. On June 28, 1652, William Stone relieved as Maryland governor by a committee led by Puritans Richard Bennett and William Claiborne. Stone attempts to hang onto power by negotiation until Calvert returns from England, but is out of office by the next year. Puritan leader Edward Lloyd wrote a letter on January 30, 1653 explaining the Puritan point of view and it was published in London. (Mentioned were Edward Lloyd, William Fuller, Richard Preston, Richard Durand, Captain John Smith, Richard Wells, and John Lawson.) There is additional pressure and Stone is out of office later that year. In 1655, Stone reassumed power and reorganized his military to put down a Puritan rebellion in Ann Arundel County.   John Baker sat on the Privy Council with Daniel Jennifer, John Baker, Robert Ridgeley.  Ridgeley came over in 1635 on the same ship as Hangate Baker (Kent Island) and became one of the wealthiest men in the colony and his estate settled. Elizabeth Baker settled his estate. William Stone forced into retirement, thirty plus of his supporters killed or executed. A period of religious persecution against Catholics and other Protestants from 1655 to 1661 follows.   Edward Hill buys Shirley from John Baker’s son-in-law, Daniel Lewellin.

 

1658, a large patent across the Potomac River in Virginia by Thomas Woodhouse seems to include William Bateman and Thomas Beale.

1660s

Elizabeth Baker is apparently married to a Thomas Green of Maryland

 

1661 William Baker a witness to Forker Fissell of St. Marys County (December 13)

 

In 1664, Captain Edward Baker, associate of Captain Daniel Lewellin, died at sea from London to Virginia

 

In 1664, Hugh Baker of St. Marys City died, left a widow Elizabeth, who remarried Robert Davis. They resettled in GARGATHA.

 

 

1660s

On March 3, 1665, the will of Hugh Baker of St. Marys City was taken and appraised at 7 pounds. His wife Elizabeth remarried a Robert Davis and they resettled in GARGATHA in Accomac, Virginia.  There were debts mentioned in the settlement to a Hugh Baker, John Baker, and Daniel Clocker Jr. That same year, another Hugh Baker died, and his widow and her husband resettled in GARGATHA also.  Daniel Clocker Sr. had been in St. Marys as early as 1650, and Clocker Jr. lived in St. Marys City in 1665 and was married to a Patience Baker. In 1675, sheriff John Baker appraised his estate.  Her sister was Mary Baker, and they were daughters of William and Mary Baker of St. Marys whose will would be administered by sheriff John Baker in 1675. Daniel Clocker and his wife Patience would be 1675 neighbors of sheriff John Baker in St. Marys.  New husband Robert Davis claimed headrights for a Jonathan Baker in 1665, and In 1670, a Hugh Baker was recorded across the river in Northumberland with William Flowers witnessed the gift of a calf by Jonathan Baker to his daughter Ann Price. In 1672 Robert Davis patented 350 acres in the Quaker area of Muddy Creek (actually GARGATHA) in Accomac.  

 

In 1665, other records indicate that John Baker immigrated to Maryland with wife Joan and children John, Sarah, and Margaret Baker, and that he was awarded 50 acres in 1673 for his service to the colony. This is certainly compatible with John Baker then marrying Elizabeth Bateman in 1674.

 

In 1669, Baker apparently came into Maryland as an indentured servant.  By 1673, he had finished his contract. In 1674, John Baker was a witness to a land patent by Daniel Jennifer and Thomas Courtney. Neighbor Van Swearingen was a co-witness.  Baker’s son married Courtney’s daughter.  Va Swearingen, and John Baker witnessed the land sale between Daniel Jennifer and Thomas Courtney for the 100-acre COMEWAY.

1670s

In 1670, Jonathan Baker was a witness to Richard Moy of St Marys and Daniel Jennifer witnessed his will. Elizabeth Moy mentions Elizabeth Baker. This will was resubmitted on December 9, 1675 and this time mentioned Garret Van Swearingen and Richard Chillman.

 

A George Baker, Mariner, sometimes is mentioned in bills of sale in 1670.  He had been called a cousin by John Webster of Virginia.

 

In 1672, Daniel Jennifer patented SHADWELL, which was granted to John Baker of St Marys City, which he reassigned to John Pierce and his wife Elizabeth.  It appears to be Baker’s first land and therefore most important. A Robert Collier willed this property to his son in 1702, but in 1674 Collier had assigned other land to Isaac Foxcroft of Northampton, Virginia who was distinguished with Daniel Jennifer for their bravery during Bacon’s Rebellion under the command of Nathaniel Littleton. Foxcroft married the granddaughter of Francis Potts, and Nathaniel Littleton’s will was settled by Daniel Baker, brother of mariner Edward Baker (D1664).  Daniel and his sister Susanna Baker were responsible for Nathaniel Littleton’s orphan children.

 

In 1673, Daniel Jennifer witnessed the will of a George Parker who held significant land near GARGATHA.  Jennifer settled the will of Devoreaux Brown whose widow subsequently married Colonel Edward Hill of Shirley, and who served as Maryland’s CEO. He also settled the estate of Southy Littleton whose father had left Daniel and Susanna Baker as overseers of his children.  Daniel and Susanna were children of John Baker of Shirley.

 

1673 Wm. Jones of Northampton granted DONCASTER, claiming head right for Edward Baker.

 

1673-1675, married the widow Elizabeth Bateman

 

In 1674, Jonathon Baker, glover, assigned his rights received from John Hollingsworth to Joseph Smith and William Colburn of Somerset.

 

1674; Richard Baker, gentleman, came to the citation regarding the will of Samuel Crefsay.

 

In 1674, a Caleb Baker, Mariner, is a major player in the area.  He administered Augustine Herman’s will. In this year, he executed the will of William Hatloff, late of Bristol, who declared the goods on his ship to be administered by friends Caleb Baker and Major Edward Fitzherbert.  He lived at Indigoes Creek. Mentioned were Robert Ridgeley, John Barnes, and Garrett Van Swearingen. . 1676 Caleb Baker executed will of William Haft (December 19).

 

In 1675, Baker was county appraiser. 

 

1675. Maurice Baker of Charles County was mentioned in the will of William Crouch.

 

In 1675, John Baker administered the estate of William and Mary Baker, both deceased in 1675 with an estate worth 3,500 pounds. Baker's will would request that Garrett Van Swearingen or John Barnes take their children, Mary Baker and Patience Baker, as guardians but they both refused. Both Barnes and Van Swearingen had been owed money by William Baker. Thomas Courtney and John Baker as well as Richard Chillman were mentioned as being involved in the settlement of the estate. A Robert Smith was paid off, and Van Swearingen finally settled the estate in 1677. John Baker, neighbor Richard Chillman, and neighbor Thomas Courtney would administer the sale of their estate.  John Barnes came forward to make a deposition. He had been at Isle of Wight in Virginia and his son was involved with land around GARGATHA.

 

August 18, 1675, John Backer and Joan Baker witnessed Thomas Greenfield of St Charles County who in his will left personality to John Baker. John Baker's daughter Sarah Baker married John Lambert in 1685.. Note that a John Baker was awarded 50 acres ten years before with wife Joan Baker, and son John Baker. (In Virginia, just below the community of the upper James River, a Robert Greenfield and Robert Mason were headrights of Thomas Markam, a neighbor at Shirley Hundred of John Baker and Daniel Lewellin. Robert’s wife married Thomas Walker.)

 

1675. The map shows the close location of some important persons. Baker’s neighbor Daniel Clocker was married to Patience Baker, daughter of William and Mary Baker, and the two daughters of neighbor Thomas Courtney were married to the sons of John Baker.  Baker Brook was the military commander who settled here in 1658

 

On August 15, 1676, Captain Roger Baker of Wapping, Middlesex, England with lands in Maryland wrote his will, and he had a brother named John Baker.  Mentioned brother-in-law Abraham Hughes of Echington, Berkshire.  Roger had land in Accomac.  Thomas Courtney mentioned in an administration of the Roger Baker will.  He left sister Mary Clark, son Roger Baker Jr., daughter Honor Baker, and his daughter Mary Baker married Maryland Governor Thomas Johnson.  Caleb Baker executed it.  We think that brother John Baker may have been sheriff John Baker because he started to acquire his lands after this Roger Baker will.

 

In 1676, Robert Ridgeley was the attorney for Sheriff John Baker

 

In 1676, John Baker began to acquire a great deal of land.

 

In 1677, Rebecca Baker married Jonathon Beale of St. Marys.

 

In 1679, John Baker Jr. of St. Mary's County (wife Mary Courtney) patented land on the south side of the Choptank River in Dorchester County on Hunting Creek. This John Baker had married the sister of Nicholas Courtney and inherited the land from her and assigned it to Nicholas Painter, all neighbors in St. Marys.  Thomas Courtney and Nicholas Painter were neighbors in St. Marys City of sheriff John Baker.

 

In 1679, Daniel Jennifer of St Marys City settled the estate of Southy Littleton of Virginia.  Southy had been left as an orphan and his father provided for Daniel Baker and Susanna Baker Eyre to look after Southy.  Daniel and Susanna were children of John Baker of Shirley.

 

1679 Thomas Baker witnessed will of John Casson (December 23).

1680s

In 1683, Richard Hill assigned land in Maryland to Jonathon Baker. Hill’s daughter married the son of Thomas Eyre and Susanna Baker. Hill also involved with some land with Isaac Baker of St Marys who patented land on the Nanticoke River 1689.

 

In 1684, Caleb Baker immigrated to St Marys County.  He administered the will of Augustine Herman, brother-in-law to Edward Hack, Captain Edward Baker’s friend. He was a witness to the will of John Barnes whose son had land in GARGATHA.  Caleb is apparently a mariner and mentioned in many transactions.

 

In 1685, George Parker was an attorney for John Baker in St Marys. Parker later purchased a significant parcel of land from Daniel Jennifer at Gargatha, Accomac.

 

The will of Thomas Baker of nearby Charles County, Maryland was presented on September 5, 1685. will to wife Martha, witnessed by Edward Butler, Edward Nibbs, Chris Johnson, Robert Huc (November 18) 

In 1650, Thomas moved to Myrtle Bay in Prince Georges County and used this a base for his extensive maritime operations in Maryland and Virginia.  He was a witness to the will of John Casson in 1679.  His wife was Martha who we think remarried John Harrison (D1687) and his son Thomas Baker married Martha Britt. He mentioned unnamed children but we have identified two of them as Thomas Baker Jr., and Elizabeth Baker Smith, wife of Anthony Smith.  She was left personality by Jarvis Pearle’s will of 1686, and John Pearle was mentioned in the will of John Baker (Ann Arundel), Mariner of Dover, Kent in his will of 1722. That same year, John Baker of Ann Arundel sold BAKERS DELIGHT to John Buckingham.   In 1667, Thomas Baker had gotten into some trouble for calling Job Chandler, a fried of William Stone, a “spindell shanked dog.”  Chandler had married the daughter of Adam Thorogood of Lynnhaven, brother-in-law of John Baker of Mayfield and Lynnhaven.

 

In 1684, the will of Richard Lloyd of St Marys County left his estate to a group of people; Elizabeth, the widow of Hugh Baker, god daughter Dorothy Taylor, John English, Henry Fipps, Richard Forest, and Edward Williamson. Richard Lloyd was in Pitts Creek in 1675 and sold land to John Merrill whose sister married Thomas Baker of Pitts Creek, eldest son of Hugh Baker of the other Hugh Baker of Northampton.  

 

1685 John Woodman assigned John Baker (Gargatha) FENWICKS CHOICE.

 

1687, sheriff John Baker died.

 

1687. In another Somerset land record, "Elizabeth relict of John Baker of St. Mary was bonded with Thomas Harrison and John Lufflin" and this mentioned Garret Van Swerigen, a neighbor of the Sheriff in St. Marys

 

In 1683, Captain Richard Hill, a 1637 headright on Old Plantation Creek, granted Jonathon Baker of “late of Ann Arundel” land. of William Stone’s brother-in-law. He was a mariner and reported in several land grants; in 1637 to John Neale of Old Plantation Creek.  Issac Baker of St. Marys was a witness to the will of a Robert Hill (deceased) administered by Richard Hill of Ann Arundel in 1686.  Richard Hill married the daughter of soldier Sir Robert Drake who died in Northampton very shorty after his arrival. (He had the same coat of arms as Sir Robert Drake). Hill’s daughter Mary Hill married captain John Eyre (Ayers), son of Thomas Eyre and his wife Susanna Baker. Settlers were recruited from Thomas Eyre’s plantation to go to Ann Arundel in 1648.  Daughter Patience Hill married John Drummond of GARGATHA who fled Accomac in 1692 as a Quaker.  Richard Hill and Joseph Harrison were both involved in administering the estates of William Bateman in 1686, and William Barker in 1686.  

 

1684. James Cullen of St. Marys mentioned John Baker and Captain Thomas Allen in his 1684 will.

 

1684. Both sheriff John Baker and Thomas Beale patented GROVE.

 

1685 John Baker of St. Mary's, Sheriff. Daniel Jennifer is his attorney.

 

1686, John Baker of GARGATHA granted 400 acres of FENWICKS CHOICE

 

1688 Sister Anne Acton Baker by John Acton of Ann Arundel. (May 3)

 

1689, Issac Baker (D1689) now of SUNSETTING on the Nanticioke River, previously mentioned with Thomas Purnell (Somerset) Richard Hill and Jonathan Baker in Ann Arundel, had a son named John Baker (B1684).  Issac patented BAKERS FOLLEY before he died that year in the Delaware River.  In Ann Arundel a James Baker also patented a BAKERS FOLLEY.  In 1722, a James Baker sold BAKERS FOLLEY to John and Thomas Huffington. See 1722.

1690s

1692, Jonathan Baker was a witness to the will of Fobbe Roberts of St Marys on June 10, 1692 who mentioned niece Elinor Courtney and nephew John Johnson.

 

A James Baker made claim to BAKERS FOLLEY in Dorchester.

 

1694, John Baker/Barker buys land from Daniel Jennifer at GARGATHA, Accomac, Va.

 

1699 Joseph Baker of Calvert County to brother William Baker in Gilford, Surrey England, John Leach Jr. to take charge of my estate for my said brother. (April 3)

1700s

On March 3 1707, Thomas Beale of St. Mary's, William Goldsmith and his wife Elizabeth, executor of Robert Ridgeley of St. Mary's, assigned to George Hutchins of Somerset the land tract BELLAINE on east side of the Choptank River and the Wicomico River near Koons Bank.

 

On August 21, 1712, Elizabeth Baker’s will was presented and she left her land to son John Baker and grandson John Baker.

 

In 1722, Issac Baker’s son, John Baker, sold BAKERS FOLLEY .

See 1707.

 

In 1721, Audry Taxlaurd of St Marys mentioned Richard Lewellin, grandson of John and Margaret Lewellin, and Ann Baker, widow of John Baker, and her son John Baker.

 

In 1722, a John Baker, sold portions of BELLAINE which was on the Rockawalking Branch and therefore near SUNSETTING.

 

That same year, James Baker sold BAKERS FOLLEY to John and Thomas Huffington, sons of James Huffington (B1648) and his wife Elizabeth Easton (B1657) of FENWICK.  FENWICK had been bought and sold by John Baker of GARGATHA in 1686.

 

At the death of James Baker (BAKERS FOLLEY) in 1725, a William Baker, George Baker, and John Baker witnessed his will.

 

1730. In the Nanticoke Hundred records of 1730 and 1740, the names Thomas Baker and William Baker appear adjacent to one another, and adjacent to a clan of Huffingtons including John Sr., John Jr., Jonathan, Richard, and Thomas Huffington.

 

 

 

Click here for more Baker facts and dates.
Click here for my theory about our first John Baker

 

 


James Neale (D1687) = Ann (Carpenter, the Cockatrice)

Robert Ridgeley (D1688) of St Marys = Martha. Ridgeley may have come to Virginia as Robert Rigglie on the same ship as Hanagte Baker in 1635

John Casson (1679) mentioned Thomas Baker

Nate Tatum (D1675) = Ann

Job Chandler of Charles County (D1659) = Anne

John Price, commander at fort St Indioes, no date but about 1656-1660

Robert Clark(D1664)

George Goldsmith (D1666) Baltimore

William Bourne (D1665)

Thomas Baker (D1684) = Martha Charles Cty

Ensign William Eyre killed at Battle of Severn, 1655

Thomas Eyre (1674) at Ann Arundel to Thomas Meers of Severn Rv., mentioned Elizabeth Hawkins, widow of William Hawkins.

Edward Cole 300A NU Mar 9, 1653 6: Hanaget Baker

1684, James Cullen left to John Baker and Thomas Allen

Roger Moy debt to Burdett

Henry Bagwell in the Somers party on the deliverance = Ann, d/o Wm Hawkins of Suffolk, w/o Thomas Stratton

  • Cornelius Lloyd
  • Edward Lloyd (W1695)(1623 at Elizabeth City), banished to Wye House in Maryland = Alyce Crouch, w/o Henry Hawkins =(2) Frances, w/o John Watkins

    John Price of CCC, Va. (D1638?) = Ann Hallom